Introduction and access request

rogue24

Hello all,

I'm interested in joining the 501st legion in the San Diego area. I have been a life long Star Wars fan and have always been interested in making my own Star Wars themed armor. 

In December a friend of mine, (a 501st member) asked me to film him in armor as he dropped off a large donation of toys at the Ronald McDonald's house at Rady Children's in San Diego. We made the drop off and finished filming which was in itself a great experience, but what particularly stood out for me was when afterwards a mother of a child admitted in the hospital approached us. Her eyes were red and she was tearing up when she spoke to my 501st member friend in Scout trooper armor. She said that her son was in the hospital and it was his birthday, he loved Star Wars. She asked if she could take a video of him in armor wishing her son a happy birthday, which he happily did. Afterwards, she began to cry and she told him how much it would mean to her son.

After this experience, I realized how much joy this organization can bring to children and others, and this has inspired me to join the 501st. I have begun printing my own Scout trooper armor to wear on future charity endeavors. I hope that this community might provide similar experiences and support for my armor building interests.

Cheers,

Rogue24

• Like 3

Welcome to the forums, Rogue24!

It's experiences like this is what made me want to joined the 501st as well and I'm so happy to see you're on the first steps in joining. :)

Cant wait to see your progress on the Scout. 

-Adriel

13 hours ago, Eagleskull said:

Welcome to the forums, Rogue24!

It's experiences like this is what made me want to joined the 501st as well and I'm so happy to see you're on the first steps in joining. :)

Cant wait to see your progress on the Scout. 

-Adriel

Thank you, here is a link to the youtube video my buddy posted... I believe he is in the Southern California Garrison...

• Like 1

Guest Rogue24

Here is the progress on my build... I think I need to modify the front black part of the helmet because it doesn't look exactly right to me...

p0s7sWO.jpg

IaXx23D.jpg

BRfsGiu.jpg

SvMlDC6.jpg

aLVavgz.jpglpeUxIp.jpg

Looking good! A couple things to keep in mind with 3D printed armor.

• PLA will get soft and deform in the sun, so you will want to use something that will hold up better like ABS or PETG.

• There cannot be ANY print lines visible, so that means a LOT of sanding and finishing.

• There are a lot of 3D models that aren't approvable, or need modification before they are. Make a WIP post on https://www.501stpathfinders.com and get some guidance there before you go too far.

Good luck! 

• Like 1

Welcome to the ISG forums Anthony!

Ah!  @tb4759!  Andrew's a good guy!  Have had a blast trooping with him in the past.  Would have loved to have done this as a garrison event, and contributed more toys!

Good luck with the armor!  We have had at least one other scout approved with 3D printed armor recently and there are a BUNCH of Pathfinders locally if you need advice!

• Like 1

Hello and welcome! As a Scout myself I am super excited to see another scout join our ranks. I definitely suggest creating a profile and a WIP thread on the Pathfinder Forum (http://forum.501stpathfinders.com). If you have Facebook I also suggest joining the ISG Recruitment page (search for Imperial Sands Recruitment Depot) we have quite a few Pathfinders on there (myself included!) who will be more than happy to help you out where needed. Finally, don’t be afraid to ask questions, that’s what we’re here for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We would love to have another biker scout in our ranks! (I’m biased, I’m a scout myself). :D
Good luck with the build and please get the Pathfinders detachment involved sooner rather than later before you put in a lot effort on certain pieces - most of us use vacuformed armor produced by known suppliers where accuracy level is already known. This can be more challenging with 3D printing when the designer may or may not have designed pieces with enough accuracy to meet 501st standards.
Looking forward to seeing your progress.