Don't miss the next Multi-club Armor/Sewing Party and Meeting ×

Hello from Talmadge (next to Kensington)

UCLAJediKnight

Like all the posters in this sub-forum I wanted to say HI and introduce myself.

My name is Mario, I am 33 years old, married and I live in San Diego.  I am putting the finishing touches on my Han Solo costume for the Rebel Legion.  I will soon be starting on the long journey to join the 501st.

I been compiling research for a few days now and I am not sure what armor size will best for me.  I have read the "Armor and where to get it" thread several times.  I am 5'10" (maybe 5'11") and I weigh 180lbs.  So based on those numbers alone and my waist size of 33 I would definitely be a medium.  However, I am relatively muscular across my shoulders and arms.  I'll post a picture of myself on here.

I want a "bright" TK kit that has a good shine or that I can put a good shine on it.  Towards that end, I am leaning towards going with TM armor.  His suits are always described as higher shine. However finding more information on TM and his armor is rather elusive.  I guess I'll find him on here if I keep looking?  His facebook is down.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi!

Mario

Some pics:

me2_1.jpg

me1_1.jpg

Edited by UCLAJediKnight

Welcome!!  Building of the TK is quite an adventure, but there is lots of local help here as well as the help you can find on whitearmour.net.  The monthly ISG build parties are a GREAT resource as well.  Look forward to meeting you in person!

So I just started going to the build parties back in February as a non-member and just joined the 501st and ISG officially about 2 weeks ago.  The group is super welcoming and helpful.  If everyone hadn't been so friendly I likely wouldn't have joined.  It's all about the people, and these are honestly a great group of people.

Welcome to the ISG forums Mario!

I would highly recommend www.whitearmor.net for your stormtrooper research.  You probably already know that, but just in case.  Dean "Stutz" Amstuz, the ISG Garrison Membership Liaison is something of an expert on the TK armor and would be a great resource for you.

Our armor parties are for all levels of skill.  I knew NOTHING when I showed up at my first one and everyone was very helpful.  I felt very alone when I was just starting too...  But the community in San Diego is very welcoming.

I look forward to meeting you in person!

Hey Mario. 5'10" 180 puts you right in the sweet spot for TK armor, so any of the screen-derived kits would be fine for you. TM is a good choice. I've seen few of his kits, and they are very nice. I believe TM offers his kits fully assembled as an option, but I would stick with the kit so you can adjust the size of the biceps as needed.

The only kit I would specifically steer you away from would be the AP kit. Though it is very nice (I have one), the plastic he uses tends to be more on the matte side, so it is not as glossy as other makers.

Mike at trooper bay also offers a kit (MTK) of similar size. He is local, so you can generally get them quickly. His site is trooperbay.com. You can shoot him an email and check out his offering.

A third option would be the upcoming Anovos kit. Though no one has seen one in person yet, MANY troopers have purchased it, and we all expect it to be very good quality. You just missed a discounted pre-order, but it is still a good price at $650. http://www.anovos.com/products/star-wars-classic-trilogy-imperial-stormtrooper-pre-order

Hope to see you soon at an armor party. We are a very friendly bunch!

Hey Mario. 5'10" 180 puts you right in the sweet spot for TK armor, so any of the screen-derived kits would be fine for you. TM is a good choice. I've seen few of his kits, and they are very nice. I believe TM offers his kits fully assembled as an option, but I would stick with the kit so you can adjust the size of the biceps as needed.

The only kit I would specifically steer you away from would be the AP kit. Though it is very nice (I have one), the plastic he uses tends to be more on the matte side, so it is not as glossy as other makers.

Mike at trooper bay also offers a kit (MTK) of similar size. He is local, so you can generally get them quickly. His site is trooperbay.com. You can shoot him an email and check out his offering.

A third option would be the upcoming Anovos kit. Though no one has seen one in person yet, MANY troopers have purchased it, and we all expect it to be very good quality. You just missed a discounted pre-order, but it is still a good price at $650. http://www.anovos.com/products/star-wars-classic-trilogy-imperial-stormtrooper-pre-order

Hope to see you soon at an armor party. We are a very friendly bunch!

Thank you for the info!  I am now thinking I should go with Mike's armor.  I'd much rather support a local!  I am going to email him.  I would have ordered the Anovos but I just missed the deal.

I am actually considering buying the Anovos Shadowtrooper armor.  The pre-order is for $375.