FNG. Arriving..

tattooed_pariah

New to costuming, in the process of saving to buy my kit.. I'm just your average guy, wife, daughter, dogs, cat, the usual.. Normally I throw money at my project cars, but have always been interested in costuming and finally getting off my butt about it.. 

For my cars I'm big on "built, not bought.." but I will admit freely I'm going the lazy route for this because I want it to look good.. I'm hoping to be another Darth Revan addition. Got a Butcher in the mail yesterday, placed the order for my Savior today, and hope to be commissioning a costume from Wicked Armor within the next couple of months.

Anyway, not sure how much I should be putting in here and how much to save for later. Feel free to ask me questions because I'm sure I'm gonna have some for you all! :)

• Like 1

Welcome to the ISG forums Matt!  Please let any of the officers know if you have any questions!  @Stutz will likely be the one who does your costume approval, so hit him up if you have questions.  @Bizarro is the garrison mentor/recruit coordinator, so let him know if you would like to have someone assigned to help you navigate your way through the process of application.

Once we actually have troops going again (there are a couple in the pipeline!) we can always use non-costumed assistants for the troopers.  This is a great way to dip your toe in the pool and see how things are done, and get to meet your future comrades!  On the right side of the front page of the forum is our upcoming events.  You won't be able to see the exact details until your costume is approved, but if you see a title for one that looks interesting to you, please hit me up and I can get you more information on it.

12 hours ago, Eagleskull said:

Welcome to the forum, Matt! 

Cant wait to see your Darth Revan progress and since we do have a few Revan's in the ISG, i'm sure they will help out with guidance and questions. 

-Adriel

Thanks! I don't know how much "progress" there will be since I'm "cheating" and buying my costume instead of making it, but i'll post pics of things as they arrive.

Do I put that in this thread to keep things from getting cluttered or is there a specific place for people to put progress or bio threads?

3 hours ago, PunkRocketScience said:

Welcome to the ISG forums Matt!  Please let any of the officers know if you have any questions!  @Stutz will likely be the one who does your costume approval, so hit him up if you have questions.  @Bizarro is the garrison mentor/recruit coordinator, so let him know if you would like to have someone assigned to help you navigate your way through the process of application.

Once we actually have troops going again (there are a couple in the pipeline!) we can always use non-costumed assistants for the troopers.  This is a great way to dip your toe in the pool and see how things are done, and get to meet your future comrades!  On the right side of the front page of the forum is our upcoming events.  You won't be able to see the exact details until your costume is approved, but if you see a title for one that looks interesting to you, please hit me up and I can get you more information on it.

I'll definitely let someone know if I need help and I can't find it by searching :) I would need general 501st approval before getting localized ISG approval right? My forum access is still pending for the 501st, and since I don't currently have a costume to be inspected, i'm assuming I won't be accepted fully until then..

I'm definitely down to help with events so long as my schedule permits. I'll keep an eye on the calendar for things!

2 hours ago, Banzai88 said:

Warm welcome to you! What project cars do you have?

Thanks!

I have a 1972 VW Beetle that I've owned since 2002 http://imgur.com/gallery/7L2Mf1w and just recently inherited a 1960 Ford F100 https://imgur.com/gallery/eJCpAJH

As far as we know, the pickup was purchased by my wife's grandfather. he mother owned it for a few decades, but she can't drive anymore, so we took possession of it :)

Last year we sold a 1980 Datsun 280zx which was originally purchased by my wife's aunt, we took it when she passe because our daughter had just turned 16 and no one else in the family wanted it.. she drove it for a few years, but it was ALL original (down tot he factory 8-track player :P ), so it was hitting the point where it needed more time/money/work than we had available so we sold it before it totally died..

On 8/12/2020 at 11:27 AM, tattooed_pariah said:

I'll definitely let someone know if I need help and I can't find it by searching :) I would need general 501st approval before getting localized ISG approval right? My forum access is still pending for the 501st, and since I don't currently have a costume to be inspected, i'm assuming I won't be accepted fully until then..

The 501st has the local GMLs (garrison membership liaisons) do 99% of the costume approvals.  There are a few rare cases where the detachment leader has to weigh in as well.  Here is a link to the process:  

• Thanks 1

Hello and welcome! I'm Patrick and as Todd mentioned I'm the garrison mentor/recruit coordinator. Please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions you may have. 

I also encourage you to join our Facebook group aimed at helping recruits like yourself get squared away and approved! 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2347013798891383

Again, any questions feel free to reach out. 

On 8/12/2020 at 7:22 AM, PunkRocketScience said:

@PunkRocketScience

I see there's a driveby event for this upcoming saturday.. I can't imagine you need much help from non-costumed people, but depending on time and actual location, I can probably be available :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

so I don't really see an area for "build progress" or anything like that, so I'm gonna keep using my intro thread...

bought some boots off of eBay, they're currently at a local leather shop getting the top strap added, but they look almost exactly like the CRL photo so I'm confident they will pass muster.. been talking with the wife and I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a Wicked Armor Revan V.2 set up in the next week or so.. Advertised ship time is 4-6 weeks, so I'm guessing 8-12 weeks is more likely with the current climate and world, so hopefully i'll be able to participate in events as a costumed Darth Revan and not just a wrangler around the holidays :)

got my boots back from the leather shop, now just need to add some grey distressing.. and also placed my order today for a Wicked Armor Revan V2 kit :D

The WA Etsy page says to expect delivery between mid-November and early December.. Given current nationwide delays and whatnot, I'm anticipating mid-December, but if it shows up earlier, all the better! :)

• 1 month later...

kit arrived today! put most of it on almost immediately just because.. haha

Have to wait until the Wifey gets home from work so she can help me with the final fitting/sizing and whatnot, Gonna post in a seperate thread if any other Revans have hints/tips/"wish I woulda knowns" for final sizing..

But in the meantime, I carved the styrofoam and put fabric down in my kit box to hold/display the mask :D

127729889_10223725586798728_628152913139

127839943_10223725587518746_119580001442

127808285_10223725587078735_898504060731

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

finally back on track! in my over eagerness to get my kit approved, I made a straight up rookie mistake and like a complete fool, didn't pay close attention to my iron when I tried to remove the wrinkles from the red center sash.. I would up removing a section of red fabric because the iron was turned up WAAY to hot..

I e-mailed Wicked Armor and inquired about commissioning just that one piece, and they sent me out a new one with no problems :D It arrived today, along with a small web belt and clip that was forgotten during the initial construction of the chest pieces, so now I can start trying to rope my Wife into helping size and fit everything so I can finally get the photos I promised to send last month out for approval..

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Well, the time has come...

I have about 2 weeks left in San Diego, early June I'll be flying to Alabama to go to my new ship. if everything goes as scheduled (it probably wont), I'll be back very early next spring.. If I was a betting man, I would expect to pick up wrangling again sometime in the summertime 2022..

Until then, thank you all for the hospitality and fun I've had so far! I can't wait to get back and work more on getting my Revan approved and actually troop with you all!

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Well, it only took me 3 years, but I have an approved costume and Legion ID.. requesting full member forum access if possible :)

Legion ID: 38008

The main 501st website has changed and I'm not sure how to find myself there.. is this is? https://www.501st.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=25130

Edited by tattooed_pariah
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, tattooed_pariah said:

Well, it only took me 3 years, but I have an approved costume and Legion ID.. requesting full member forum access if possible :)

Legion ID: 38008

The main 501st website has changed and I'm not sure how to find myself there.. is this is? https://www.501st.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=25130

Congrats Matt!  Access updated!

You may want to consider submitting your Jawa for Rebel Legion membership as well?  It is eligible for both clubs!

https://rebellegion.com/membership-qualifications/

• Like 1