My Force Has Been Awakened

Kuhlio

Hi everyone. I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I'm a San Diego native and a long time Star Wars fan. I attended a premiere party for The Force Awakens at the Ruben H. Fleet Science Center last month and believe that some of you as well as some of the Rebel Scum were in attendance in costume. After looking in to the 501st a bit more and coming to the realization of how much charity work this organization does, I decided to start the process of joining and am now in the (long) process of putting together an ESB Vader costume. In my initial research, I came across the SLD forums and have been active over there with many of the members helping me out with my initial decisions on the costume.

As I said, I know getting a Vader costume together is a long process, but I'm excited for the journey and while it may be a while (my most optimistic estimate for completion of the costume is sometime early next year), I figured it couldn't hurt to start interacting and getting to know you all.

So that's that. In the meanwhile, I'm open to suggestions, guidance and geeky banter. Thanks for reading!

Hi Erik!

Glad you got in touch!  In the time until you complete your Vader, you might consider another easier costume to get your foot in the door...  Scanning crew, Reserve TIE pilot, Tusken, or Jawa are all much less intensive costumes.  Or you could come and "wrangle" for the costumed characters as well.  We always need help getting in and out of costume and with interacting with the public.

Thanks for the welcome, all.

As things ramp up for me, I certainly intend to reach out and wrangle/squire/handle to start getting a feel for things. Things are pretty hectic for me up through February, but once that all ends, I'll be reaching out more with the hope of learning all I can while getting my costume together. I'm sure there's plenty of experience to draw on in terms of how to conduct yourself and what to expect at various types of functions/events and I'm happy to help the team.