Hello from a hopeful future member

Guest Crystal C.

Guest Crystal C.

Hello,

I moved to Mira Mesa/San Diego a few months ago and have been wanting to join the 501st since I saw them a few years ago at a comic convention, but never thought I could join because I didn't know much about star wars. They seemed so cool and the idea of being able to take my love for crafting/comics/movies and geeky things and do something good with it is really exciting to me!
Now that the new movie came out I took this opportunity to watch all the movies and catch up on what I have missed and now I feel more worthy to at least give it a try! I'm really excited to start working on a costume,  I hope I can do you all proud!

Crystal

Hello!
yes, I am interested in doing the the ARC trooper (http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:AR_stdARC)

and maybe one day doing Kylo Ren, I really love his mask and costume.
I'm going to start doing research before I build or buy anything though. I'm still pretty new to the Star Wars universe. =)

Do people usually build by buying kits or do they build from scratch on there own?

Welcome Crystal! Looks like you already found the CRLs, so that's great. And as Todd said, make sure you visit the detachment for any costumes you are interested in. The detachment should be your first stop, and you will spend a lot of time there researching your costume. You should not make any purchases without checking with the detachment to make sure it is acceptable for membership. Many items can be purchased directly from the “For Sale” section on the detachment website. Once you get started on your costume build, you should start a WIP (Work in Progress) thread on the detachment forum. As you post your progress, the members will help steer you in the right direction. That will help ensure that when the costume come to me for approval, it won’t require time consuming or costly revisions.

http://www.501st.com/members/displayUnits.php#detachments

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Crystal!  My wife and I are both in Mira Mesa, and while we aren't working on a Clone Trooper per say, we do have several TK style kits in progress right now.  You are more than welcome to stop by and see what we are doing and discuss the build process :)