Don't miss the next Multi-club Armor/Sewing Party and Meeting ×

Hello from santee

Guest Jacob

Hi

I'm Jacob from santee.  I'm looking to join, also I am building a vacuum former to make my own armor.  So in a lot of ways I'm looking for help?  I need to create the molds.  So in a lot of ways I was wondering if anyone out there has molds and was wondering if you guys are having a build party anytime soon.  I see you guys every year at sdcc and say this is the year I'm going to build my armor.  So no more holding myself back.  Does anyone else in this unit do the vacuum forming.

Hi Jacob-

What armor are you looking to make?

For most of us, we aren't quite as ambitious as making our own molds (called bucks for vacu forming).  We typically start with a kit from other fan artists in the 501st.  There are a couple people locally who have the equipment to do so.  TrooperVic and I are talking about putting a set up together sometime soon.  You are almost right between us.  He's in Alpine and I'm in Poway.

-Todd

Vic said that he wanted to make a former, and I'm down to help him try.  Would be handy to be able to make our own parts and greebs.  Would probably use it more for Mando armor.

For ANH stormtrooper armor, I might suggest contacting Mike at Trooperbay.  He is local in Poway and a good guy.  The garrison is looking at running a workshop on how to assemble one of the white armor kits and are looking around to see if we can get a price break to be able to offer to people.

Unless you have a LOT of experience with sculpting and vacforming, and an extensive knowledge of the Stormtrooper costume in general, I would really discourage you from trying to sculpt and form your own TK armor. There are plenty of suits available for purchase, that will be way cheaper in the long run than trying to create your own. This is a good place to start: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/ or a Todd mentioned, contact Mike at trooperbay.com.

If you do decide to try to create your own from scratch, I recommend allowing me to review your sculpts as your progress. If you are going to attempt to get it approved for membership, it will need to be screen accurate.