Don't miss the next Multi-club Armor/Sewing Party and Meeting ×

Looking for help with ICAT Driver costume!

RainTrooper

Hi everyone! I'm a 501st hopeful trying to finish an Imperial Combat Assault Transport Driver costume. I have a few questions about the helmet. I have mine printed and put together...about half way done with the filling and sanding..but I've run into a snag! While looking at CRL's I didnt notice the vents that are described in the back. I drew in where these vents should be, as well as the indented groove that belongs along the top of the helmet. What I need help with:

1) I was thinking of taking my dremel to those areas that need vents and either cleaning up the holes with my 3d pen and some bondo to make it look seamless....but before I do that, any other tips or ideas that could be better? I'm trying to avoid printing a new helmet, plus the file I originally used didnt have the vents.

https://imgur.com/a/6vPUhes  (Cant figure out why linking the pics isnt working...sorry!)

2) I can't for the life of me figure out how to connect the visor top to the actual helmet (see attached picture) LOL - PLEASE anyyyyy help with that would be greatly appreciated! 

I also found someone who sells the shoulder and boot straps, but they're pretty gnarly in price. Any recommendations on sellers for those would be super duper helpful! Along with any places to find some boots? I'm afraid to buy any thrifted boots in case they arent approvable? How picky are approvals with ICAT Driver boots?

Thanks in advance! Really looking forward to getting this costume done and my application in. Anyone going to SW celebration btw? I'd be so cool to meet some of you there!!!

Raina

Hey Raina-

@djrue is your guy for the ICAT driver.  I'm doing the tanker version of the same helmet.  I gave up on the 3D printed version and ordered a resin one.

Do you have a file now that has the vent holes?  It might be easier to just print that section of the helmet and splice it in instead of making sure you get all of the cut outs perfectly spaced and parallel?

To attach the forehead shield on, I'd probably just glue it on with epoxy and add screws in from the inside of the helmet for extra insurance?

Hopefully you are following along the CRL for the details?

https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:Imperial_Combat_Assault_Transport_Driver

There is an amazing tutorial on the Armored Cavalry forums on a build as well:

https://forum.501starmoredcavalry.com/index.php?/topic/4398-ruthars-imperial-combat-assault-transport-driver/

thanks for that @PunkRocketScience! I think reprinting that area would be better than trying to take a dremel to it. I was definitely looking over the CRLs and that's when I noticed how off my helmet was (printed the helmet awhile ago, before I even considered trying for 501st) ...I found another 3d print file that seems to be more accurate...but at this point, maybe a resin helmet would be easier. Do you have a place you can recommend to get one? I'm just dreading the print times...gluing it all together and allllll the sanding and bondo again. 

24 minutes ago, RainTrooper said:

Do you have a place you can recommend to get one?

I ordered one from SkyGunBro during one of their online sales, but Imperial Surplus has a good one, though more expensive.  If you can find one of the Anovos ones at a reasonable price, they are nice as well...  But DO NOT order them directly from Anovos or Denuo Novo (who they have rebranded as...)

On 3/31/2022 at 10:42 AM, PunkRocketScience said:

I ordered one from SkyGunBro during one of their online sales, but Imperial Surplus has a good one, though more expensive.  If you can find one of the Anovos ones at a reasonable price, they are nice as well...  But DO NOT order them directly from Anovos or Denuo Novo (who they have rebranded as...)

Thanks @PunkRocketScience!!! You have no idea how helpful that is! LOL I've been all over here and ACD forums and seeing "SGB" everryyywhere not knowing who that is...and googling SGB. SGB Star Wars, SGB props, etc -- it's great to know who that finally is! :lol: I'm gonna do more research, message him. see what I can do about a new helmet and post a WIP soon. TYSM!

thanks for that [mention=5]PunkRocketScience[/mention]! I think reprinting that area would be better than trying to take a dremel to it. I was definitely looking over the CRLs and that's when I noticed how off my helmet was (printed the helmet awhile ago, before I even considered trying for 501st) ...I found another 3d print file that seems to be more accurate...but at this point, maybe a resin helmet would be easier. Do you have a place you can recommend to get one? I'm just dreading the print times...gluing it all together and allllll the sanding and bondo again. 

You’re welcome to come to the East County armor party and we can compare my kit / helmet to yours.