Don't miss the next Multi-club Armor/Sewing Party and Meeting ×

Forearm Issues - Won't come together

Impatience

So I've finally started glueing and got most of my forearms together, but the last part to glue just won't come/stay together, lots of outward force on the pieces.  I'm getting the feeling from responses on my FISD post that perhaps I just don't have this thing trimmed right.  

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/30708-forearm-issues-wont-come-together/

Anyone perhaps have some time this weekend to meet up for a short time to school me on my TK forearm build?  There are lots of good suggestions on the FISD post, but I think I need some hands/eyes on help.  And this was supposed to be the easy parts!!!

--Impatience

The main issue I see is that you are trying to use the cover strips to hold the forearms together. Cover strips are (generally) just cosmetic to cover the seams. Cut another strip that goes on the inside of the forearm and use a more aggressive adhesive (abs cement or zap-a-gap) & clamps/blue tape to hold it together until it sets. If your suit required trimming, you can use the excess plastic you trimmed off for that part vs. using the cover strip material that came with the kit. Then use the E6000 and cover strips to cover the seam.

Just be careful using the ABS Cement or zap-a-gap, as if it gets on the plastic, it won't come off like E6000. that's why it's best to only use it on interior joins where it doesn't matter.

I saw some good suggestions on FISD, but I wouldn't recommend using hot water or a heat gun until you have more experience. It's very easy to ruin a piece very quickly that way.

Good luck!