Don't miss the next Multi-club Armor/Sewing Party and Meeting ×

TIE Pilot Gears for Chest Box

masterbarkeep

Anyone know if anyone make those gears out of aluminum ? Or know what type of gears were originally used for the movies ? (Or were they custom made ?) I'm making a new box and gears are one thing I'm wondering about as I don't want to throw something on that won't be approved. Are we allowed to drill a few holes in them ? (I'm thinking of throwing speakers behind them and the holes are to allow the sound out)

JERMS !!!
TI-3633
(Yes, it's been a LONG freaking time since I've posted anything)

The gears on the sides of the boxes should be painted the same color gray as the rocker switches, so getting them made in aluminum doesn't make much sense. Plastic is the way to go. All kits I am aware of come that way. And drilling holes in the gears would not be approvable.

Like most things in Star Wars, the side gears were from an "model engine kit" I believe, so production crew probably just had a bunch of these or cast them but they would have all been plastic and glued on. Yes, drilling speaker holes would be non-approvable but the plastic should be "thin" enough if you wanted to put a speaker in for the sound to come though.