Gaanon’s AM TK Build Thread

Gaanon

Yes, I’m building another TK. And hopefully I can document this build a bit better.

Those that have seen my kit know I’m not happy with the sizing. Nothing against the kit maker, I didn’t do enough homework and it’s just not something I could size up and make look good with my skill level. So, originally I was looking at an RT-Mod kit but after his estimated delivery time passed by a few months and no response to email I reached out to Armor Masters. I understand Rob travels frequently, but I waited as long as I was willing to. Sunday night I sent in my payment and the BBB is already here! I was in complete shock.

vCcQEGO.jpg

It’s been a busy day at work so I didn’t have time to do much more than take a quick look inside the box.

0mLgiIa.jpg

Tomorrow I’ll crack everything open and take a complete photo.

What I’ve noticed already:

- There’s lots of extras. Multiple hand plates, ab buttons, knee plates

- Mic tips are aluminum. Should pass basic, but they don’t look like my resin cast on the inside. I’m guessing they’ll need to be replaced for higher approval.

- Even comes with helmet padding!

- Plastic is thick. Seems even thicker than my ATA.

- Ears are pre-trimmed and the eyes are already cut out. Overall it looks like there’s a lot of trimming already done.

- Everything is smooth. No bumpy wonkyness that I’ve seen in other kits. My understanding is the AM molds are machined aluminum. I thought I’d like something smoother and more even...now I’m not so sure.

This kit was super affordable. Let’s see what it takes to assemble it!

Anyone with an AM, feel free to chime in with your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Gaanon changed the title to Gaanon’s AM TK Build Thread

Yes, I’m building another TK. And hopefully I can document this build a bit better.
Those that have seen my kit know I’m not happy with the sizing. Nothing against the kit maker, I didn’t do enough homework and it’s just not something I could size up and make look good with my skill level. So, originally I was looking at an RT-Mod kit but after his estimated delivery time passed by a few months and no response to email I reached out to Armor Masters. I understand Rob travels frequently, but I waited as long as I was willing to. Sunday night I sent in my payment and the BBB is already here! I was in complete shock.
vCcQEGO.jpg

It’s been a busy day at work so I didn’t have time to do much more than take a quick look inside the box.
0mLgiIa.jpg
Tomorrow I’ll crack everything open and take a complete photo.
What I’ve noticed already:
- There’s lots of extras. Multiple hand plates, ab buttons, knee plates
- Mic tips are aluminum. Should pass basic, but they don’t look like my resin cast on the inside. I’m guessing they’ll need to be replaced for higher approval.
- Even comes with helmet padding!
- Plastic is thick. Seems even thicker than my ATA.
- Ears are pre-trimmed and the eyes are already cut out. Overall it looks like there’s a lot of trimming already done.
- Everything is smooth. No bumpy wonkyness that I’ve seen in other kits. My understanding is the AM molds are machined aluminum. I thought I’d like something smoother and more even...now I’m not so sure.
This kit was super affordable. Let’s see what it takes to assemble it!
Anyone with an AM, feel free to chime in with your thoughts.

Following. I just got an Anovos TK kit.

As promised, back at work and here we go!

vufG0W2.jpg

Everything laid out on our conference table at work.  What else is a conference table good for?  I was surprised at how much stuff there actually was.  Took up the whole table.  Now for the detailed images.

bQmp1Jb.jpg

Here we have the helmet, pre-trimmed ears, two types of shoulder straps (need to look up the different versions of this kit) and biceps.

lxknWjo.jpg

Chest, back plate, and forearms.  Looks like a lot more room than what I currently have.

uh65pLz.jpg

Ab and cod, belts (something else to look up), different ab buttons, different hand plates, thermal det was pretty much preassembled, drop boxes (inner and outer).

ZHWOvGi.jpg

Leg day (I had to move around the other side of the table for a better look.  TK knee plate and two TD knee plates, thigh ammo belt (AM will prebend them for you if you like)

DIWjL6m.jpg

Some of the extras, correct brow and neck trim, aluminum mic tips, ABS weld (I'll stick to E6000, thank you) and some hardware.  

iLXiPa5.jpg

Detail on the belts and buttons

fTKK1MF.jpg

Detail on the ab buttons and hand plate options.  

awunfyu.jpg

Ab and cod detail (I was happy this was one piece.  I've heard some kits this comes in two parts and didn't want to deal with that.)

Rw71YXg.jpg

Close up on the kidney and butt plate. 

jMuUCwz.jpg

Close up on the pre-trimmed ears, mic tips, and shoulder strap options.

And that's about it for now.  It also came with what looks like the correct lens material.  Decal options for TK or TD as well as some frown mesh and tube stripes for stunt and hero. 

I will say this, packing was awesome.  Everything wrapped almost individually and stacked neatly.  Not tossed in with peanuts like I've seen before.  I'm going to have a heck of a time getting it all back in the box.  But all in all I'm quite pleased with the kit itself and the value.

If I didn't have work today, I'd be at home beginning assembly.  

Brian

• Like 1

Sweet!  From my research, the AM kit is cut a little "fuller"...If you need any strapping or elastic or paint (I have quite a bit of French Blue), I have a lot left over from my build. Love the ab detail, quite a bit sharper than my ATA, plus it has the "washer" pressed into it...you know that would look really good nice and dirtied up! :lol:

6 minutes ago, MAC Dan D said:

Sweet!  From my research, the AM kit is cut a little "fuller"...If you need any strapping or elastic or paint (I have quite a bit of French Blue), I have a lot left over from my build. Love the ab detail, quite a bit sharper than my ATA, plus it has the "washer" pressed into it...you know that would look really good nice and dirtied up! :lol:

I know what you mean.  I've got the ATA.  The only thing I see missing from the ab is the split at the bottom of the smaller button plate mount.  Minor detail, I'm sure, but still.  The rest of this week will be shopping for other supplies I've used up between my ATA and my kid's WTF Biker.

Honestly, if I dirty anything up, it's probably going to be my ATA.  I'm hoping that with a pack on it will hide some of the wide cover strips I had to use in the back.

• Like 1

Nice! I think you'll be a lot happier with this kit. And the fact that AM has switched to a two-piece helmet is great. The three-piece, even though was sturdier, just wasn't as accurate.

• Like 1

I was waiting on you to chime in, Dean.  I do have one question regarding the shoulder straps.  This is more informational than anything.  I was given two sets, one textured and one smooth.  I'll be using the accurate textured one.  But what kit does the smooth one go to?  I haven't gotten an answer on FISD for that one.

Looks like you received plenty of extra belt rivet covers. If once you're done your build you find you have extras, I'd love to get some from you! I still have to redo my Anovos belt and I know I'm going to have trouble with those.

• Like 1

Looks like you received plenty of extra belt rivet covers. If once you're done your build you find you have extras, I'd love to get some from you! I still have to redo my Anovos belt and I know I'm going to have trouble with those.

Will do. But they’re different from what’s in the Anovos kit.
And yes, redoing that belt completely sucks with whatever epoxy they shove in there.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2018 at 10:54 AM, Gaanon said:

I was waiting on you to chime in, Dean.  I do have one question regarding the shoulder straps.  This is more informational than anything.  I was given two sets, one textured and one smooth.  I'll be using the accurate textured one.  But what kit does the smooth one go to?  I haven't gotten an answer on FISD for that one.

No clue. There is no costume that uses them. Sandtroopers don't have external plastic shoulder straps, so they're not for a Sandie kit. Maybe they are meant to go under the ridged straps for reinforcement?

No clue. There is no costume that uses them. Sandtroopers don't have external plastic shoulder straps, so they're not for a Sandie kit. Maybe they are meant to go under the ridged straps for reinforcement?

If that’s the case I won’t be using them. This plastic seems even thicker than the ATA. I don’t see the need and honesty, I don’t think it’ll look right.

• 5 weeks later...

Got a little bit of work done. Took Scott’s advise and went with they nylon snap plates.

iQjazy5.jpg
wP5ixEa.jpg

Took a little off the top return edge on the ab plate. Just too much there and it was digging in. Plus, it’ll never be seen.
sz3lKKs.jpg
6WHDo8N.jpg

And shaped the cod.
EEXwZJV.jpg

Then I removed the return edge from the wrist on the forearms.
6Z0LbdY.jpg
I’m starting by making it even at the elbow because with no return edge at the wrist and the inside being longer, I can always trim the wrist as needed.

tgmAyjN.jpg
And with a quick test fit, I can’t believe the size of this thing! Flipping huge. One thing I noticed, it doesn’t have the ridge to place the cover strips so you kinda have to eyeball it and make sure your cover strips are spaced evenly to cover.

Next up I’ll hopefully trim the forearms, the kidney, and butt. Maybe even do some more gluing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No protective layer.  Each vendor has their own source for ABS.  Some have different thickness, others are more flexible (for example, Walt's Trooper Factory has run over parts of his kit with a car and other than dirt, it went right back to shape) it all depends.  Plus it could just be the light on my workdesk.

3 hours ago, Madcow said:

The set looks good. Is there a website for Armor Masters?

Can't remember if there is a website.  I think there is, but I can't find it again.  Your best bet is to find him in the Facebook Group.  Victor Matts is who you're looking for.