Don't miss the next Multi-club Armor/Sewing Party and Meeting ×

The Great Jawa Initiative 2018

BrieKalan2

1 minute ago, DaygoErm said:

Yes! Sorry for my delay too. Supposed to have gotten more out by now too. December sounds like a great time line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although not necessarily at the beach this time-- hahaha, we all had enough of that at the last photo  :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lesley, Ermer, Todd and Brian; thank you for this thread. I finished reading everything you posted and just finished dying the fabric. The colors look just like I hoped they would. Its still wet, so I'm sure it will lighten up a bit, but I'm happy nonetheless. 

What is the best way to weather the robe once finished?

Thanks again

Tom

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Madcow said:

Lesley, Ermer, Todd and Brian; thank you for this thread. I finished reading everything you posted and just finished dying the fabric. The colors look just like I hoped they would. Its still wet, so I'm sure it will lighten up a bit, but I'm happy nonetheless. 

What is the best way to weather the robe once finished?

Thanks again

Tom

You’re welcome Tom!  Can’t wait to see your fabric. 

Theres lots of weathering methods.  

I use use a combination of spray paints.  Primarily design master floral paints from michaels but also flat black and rusty primers. 

You up can also use acrylic paints and brush or spray them on. 

Todd and Wendy used shoe polish last time and some have used WD 40 (that’s particularly good for leather). 

Ive also use the speckle paints and applies them via direct spray, brushes or sponges, and have also used extremely strong dye solutions too, as an over dye/spray on to make it look more weathered.  

I was making Jawa rag dolls this weekend and weathering the robes with spray paints. 

D136F6D2-803B-4149-A6B0-4EB14B0217EA.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I think I’m about done! All that’s left is weathering so it’s good Leslie just posted that because I’m clueless.

I’ll take photos of what I have on Halloween at work. Then, if I could get a hand weathering at the next armor party, and Todd gives the thumbs up, I’ll submit.

I have no paints for weathering but I can pick up something. I’m sure I’ve got WD-40. And shoe polish is everywhere.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Picture time!  Just as I promised.

HTmDOkM.jpg

OqYeVHb.jpg

TQdo2B5.jpg

Qnr2dM9.jpg

OK, for starters, no Aker for approval pics.  Looks like some more trimming at the bottom and maybe a little on the arms as well.  And get rid of the long strings.  Short ones should still be fine.  Then it's weathering.

Any other thoughts?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Been a while. Lots of stuff in the way including the weather not cooperating. Finally got some supplies and time to work on it. I’m trying to go with less is more. On the bandolier I nearly soaked it in WD-40 to break it in (AWESOME stuff), sanded the fittings and put some shoe polish on them, used brown shoe polish on the extension which matched decently, more black and brown shoe polish all around and some sanding on the leather bits. I took about an inch off the bottom of the robes, sprayed camouflage and black spray paint all around, and added the black and brown shoe polish. Same with the boots and hood. I painted new eyes which I hope are a better color.
If it looks good, I’ll submit these. Otherwise at the Armor Party.
IVUHPuL.jpg
mbfK6Za.jpg
SthrMC2.jpg
2tDuFiG.jpg
QqHSeoX.jpg
4rFoP77.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good @Gaanon, with two minor issues...  Your hood is a little flopped over.  Not a deal breaker, but it should be straightened up.  Second, can you take a close up of the eyes?  It looks like the white on the inside of the base is showing thru.  Either the base should be blackened, or the front should be all yellow.

1 minute ago, PunkRocketScience said:

Looks good @Gaanon, with two minor issues...  Your hood is a little flopped over.  Not a deal breaker, but it should be straightened up.  Second, can you take a close up of the eyes?  It looks like the white on the inside of the base is showing thru.  Either the base should be blackened, or the front should be all yellow.

It's the base of the eyes.  I'll spray them black and take new photos at the build party.  Plus I'm working on a v2 set of eyes that are USB powered.  But that's for later.

21 hours ago, Gaanon said:

It's the base of the eyes.  I'll spray them black and take new photos at the build party.  Plus I'm working on a v2 set of eyes that are USB powered.  But that's for later.

I just moved the batteries to switched external holders with these:  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5I72P3

I repainted the eye bases and tried to paint the threads, but didn’t have much luck there. So I painted the outside bottom of the lenses black. That should take care of the eye issue.

E0cQnqe.jpg

I also added some more weathering. Earth brown and stone paint. I added stone around the edges, elbows, knees, and the butt on down on the back. Then layered it with the earth brown and sand camouflaged paints.

m2JzVeo.jpg
3yV2f5Z.jpg
Hood also looks more even
yVBxot7.jpg
aFRchVD.jpg
WbSCj0G.jpg
DugBmf6.jpg
b6zlYmk.jpg
P1HVUun.jpg

UTINI!!!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Gaanon said:

I repainted the eye bases and tried to paint the threads, but didn’t have much luck there. So I painted the outside bottom of the lenses black. That should take care of the eye issue.

E0cQnqe.jpg

I also added some more weathering. Earth brown and stone paint. I added stone around the edges, elbows, knees, and the butt on down on the back. Then layered it with the earth brown and sand camouflaged paints.

m2JzVeo.jpg
3yV2f5Z.jpg
Hood also looks more even
yVBxot7.jpg
aFRchVD.jpg
WbSCj0G.jpg
DugBmf6.jpg
b6zlYmk.jpg
P1HVUun.jpg

UTINI!!!

There you go!  Ready for submission!