Don't miss the next Multi-club Armor/Sewing Party and Meeting ×

MTK left ab/kidney rivets

DeceptiSean

So 4 of 6 rivets caused cracking in my kidney to ab connection. Glued reinforcement abs strips behind holes and abs pasted the tops. Lots of sanding and polishing in my future. Anybody else have this issue with any kit? Have suggestions on how to best move forward or did I cover it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

4a5e3834f35d4756b05033ab155c9896.jpg

Apparently using the webbing was my bad. I was under the impression that elastic would be to weak. I'm replacing the nylon webbing with some of my 1 inch elastic I have left over. I applied some abs paste to some of the more damaged holes and after extensive sanding and polishing, I'm not entirely happy with the outcome.

951486a0d822a60a9c861aad98ca6fa8.jpg

You can tell that top hole had the worst blow out.1276b09bcbaf73d2558677c8405df4d5.jpg

I want to try painting over the area.

Get heavy duty woven elastic from strapworks.com

Back that area with another strip of plastic.

I would avoid painting, as the color/sheen will never match. Stick with ABS paste, sanding and polishing. Make sure you are using the same plastic as your kit for the ABS paste. 

Get heavy duty woven elastic from strapworks.com

Back that area with another strip of plastic.

I would avoid painting, as the color/sheen will never match. Stick with ABS paste, sanding and polishing. Make sure you are using the same plastic as your kit for the ABS paste. 

Thank you again Mr. Stutz! I am having a little trouble with the abs paste. I get bubbles once it dries. I have sanded the area after, starting with 220 then 400 and finished with 1500. When I polish after it comes out very smooth but not as shiny. I think I might have to get an even finer grit sandpaper and try a different polish.