Makin' Noise (for LEGOLAND and more)

Mattchu

Reposting from the Jawa Initiative:

So if you wanna chitter and chirp like a jawa (or tusken, or really any character you want fun sound clips for), I recommend ordering those sound boards and buttons today or tomorrow, and it will show up on the premiere weekend.

I am off Sunday and Monday, and totally willing to help wire it all up, install sound, do any soldering (to add an on/off switch), and help trouble shoot if you order that stuff now. I would love to see our Jawas chittering like crazy, Tuskens yelling, etc. during LEGOLAND weekends.

Items you will need to order:

1 board; get this one with the terminal blocks. It's MUCH easier to fix if things go wrong than the solder board, and the price difference is negligible.

http://www.electronics123.com/shop/product/fn-bc04-tb-4-buttons-triggered-mp3-player-board-with-10w-amplifier-and-terminal-blocks-8267

4 buttons, these work fantastic.

http://www.electronics123.com/shop/product/push12w-momentary-push-switch-white-flat-rubber-button-with-12-inch-leads-8271

Switches can be purchased at Fry's if you want them, I have a small simple slider that locks nicely into position so it doesn't turn off on accident.  I have several extra 9 Volt battery connectors that I will donate to this cause, though if you want a fancier one there are several on electronics123 and inside Fry's or Willy's.

You'll want an aker speaker of some sort; I'm a fan of the 1506 since it's smaller, but the 1505 or similar work as well (these are also used for TKs and other costumes; so if you have armor with a speaker, you're already set. If not, you're prepared for when you make the jump). They run from 30-60 dollars and have a variety of extra features.

you will want a 3.5mm audio cable that's at least 3 feet long.

you will need a compression glove; I recommend going to CVS and trying a few on as you want the button on your index to sit in a specific spot, and a larger glove may give you more room while still fitting snug. Additionally CVS sells a lovely eye glass repair tool that runs about 3 dollars and looks like a star wars greeblie; it's perfect for remounting wires if they wiggle lose.

You'll want Velcro; I have been using the small stick on pieces for mine, has worked great so far. If I need to sew it later, I can.

I will take photos of everything later on tonight.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Update:

So a few folks before, during, and after SDCC have asked about this.  I am going to start a list of folks who wanted boards. Electronics 123 offers a small, but nice discount for orders of 10 or more, and with the possibility of some of these parts going up in price, I'd rather we get an order in now, with discounts, than later.

If we order by 8/2/18 , we can have everything here in time for the build party!

For the board and 4 buttons it will cost $27, which includes shipping if we do it this way.

We need at least 10. 

If you are interested, comment below.  My paypal info is atmamatt@gmail.com.

Current Count: 20

The list so far:

1. Victor Silva*

2. Carrie Ann*

3. Todd Mullin (x4)*

4. Joe Nelson*

5. Ruben Camerino (x2)*

6. Lesley Farquhar (x2)*

7. Nhan (Tiedoll)*

8. Joe (Etherpilot888)

9. David (Fett)*

10. Milton Hunt (x3)*

12. Kevin Hull*

13. Mark Kinsey (x2)*

14. Kenny (Tusken)*

an asterisk (*) indicates paypal has been received.

Edited by Mattchu
updating list!
  • Like 1

Okay, so a majority of folks paid, I've decided I'm going to place the order tomorrow morning and hope to have it this weekend, so I can start going over components. @Tiedoll and @EtherPilot888 if you can hit my paypal sometime in the next few days that will work.

5 hours ago, Mattchu said:

Update: Everything should arrive tomorrow; I'll start doing the basic wiring and testing this weekend!

Neat!

now, will we need mikes/amplifiers for these gloves?

If yes, recommendations? 

I already have a newton amp, which I love -- but I'll admit it is over powered and huge, not to mention it can blast people's helmets off if I turn the volume all the way up...

you will need an amplifier. I'm rumming with an Aker 1506 which is 10W.  The boards themselves are built for 10W, so you can get a pretty good range on them if you use a an amplifier that's close to the same wattage.  The boards do have a little gain control, but I've found it to be fickle.

The only other things you'll need are a compression glove, and velcro.  I recommend stick on velcro at first, just to figure out where the buttons like to sit on your hand, and sewing the connector pieces to your glove.  the buttons should just have stick on velcro or regular velcro glued on, so you can remove them from the glove or move them around.

I have 9V connectors aplenty so those I'll cover.

• 1 month later...