Don't miss the next Multi-club Armor/Sewing Party and Meeting ×

Getting started

Guest Ashley

Hi there!

I saw a few of your members last night at the Vista Cinepolis. Even though I was dressed as a rebel pilot, your people were pretty nice!

I might be interested in making a screen quality costume. My flight pilot suit was the first thing I have ever made, and I cut some corners so it didn't meet Legion requirements. However, I had such a fun time making it. I think with some more time and planning, I could make something acceptable. 

I also thing it would be a blast to get to dress up for charity events! 

I have a couple questions: do costumes have to be gender specific? For example, could a lady Krennic be approved as long as the costume meets guidelines and I tie my hair back? Do you guys ever get together and discuss costume making strategies?

Thanks so much!

Ashley

Hi Ashley. Welcome!

We'd love to have you join us! We do have regular armor parties where we get together to work on our costumes and just generally have fun and talk about Star Wars. The next armor party will be in January, but it hasn't been scheduled yet. Keep an eye our calendar for more info. Prospective members are welcome!

Regarding gender and costumes, costumes are open to any gender, with the caveat that it still must be accurate to the character and follow the CRL (Costume Reference Library) for that particular character. We don't do "gender bent" costumes, meaning female variations of traditionally male costumes, or vice versa. For example if you wanted to do a Krennic, you must meet the same standards as a male doing a Krennic, meaning your hair would have to be styled like the character on screen. This could be done with a wig, or with styling, but simply tying it back into a bun or pony-tail, for example, would not be acceptable. In short, you would need to look as convincingly like a man as possible. We have at least one woman who has been approved as Krennic. I'll dig up the photos and post them in this thread when I find them.

Hope this answers your question. We have many female costumers in the Legion, and many costume choices available. Check out our CRLs here for a complete list of current "bad guy" costumes. Note that this list is always growing as members add "new-to-the-Legion" costumes.

http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:CRL

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

Edit: Found the photos.

t5gc3Ni.jpg

oiyG2yS.jpg

That info is very helpful! I was planning on not "gender bending" the outfit, as I think it looks amazing as it is. However...I don't think I could rock a wig. I think I'll make this outfit for funsies, but maybe something else for 501st status. 

Maybe Palpatine...I bet I could do some great makeup/prosthetics for that wrinkled mug!