Don't miss the next Multi-club Armor/Sewing Party and Meeting ×

A New Hope.. In building a suit

trioxin245

Hello Legionnaires,

I posted this in the access request forum but this looks like a better place! Bit about myself my name is Daniel, I’ve always wanted to become a member of the 501st. Since I was stationed at Andrews AFB MD, I was in talks with a local garrison to try to create/join the legion. Unfortunately the military life didn’t allow much free time, to create my Stormtrooper suit and join. After deploying and everything that soon followed, I gave up. I separated last year, and I am now home in sunny hot San Diego, California, CV/IB area. My spark to join the legion has been reignited, I cannot afford a premade $1k+ 501st approved suit. My next step is to try to make one, with time and purchasing parts and materials as I go along. I was hoping if anyone near me could help me out in this process. I’m not asking for handouts or anything for free. I understand people are really busy with their time but if anyone has time to help a fellow mil vet join the 501st. I just need guidance on how/what/where to get materials. Thank you for your time, Happy Trooping

(Copied from your other thread)

Welcome!

I always tell people to plan on $750-$1000 for a TK (Stormtrooper). About the cheapest you can find the base approvable armor is $600-ish. But on top of that, you need:
• Stormtrooper boots
• Undersuit
• Fabric belt
• Ribbed neck seal
• Balaclava
• Blaster (optional)
• Voice amp (optional)
• Thermal det clips
• Helmet pads
• Gloves
• Various supplies (velcro, paint, adhesives, snaps, tools)

Making a stormtrooper suit from scratch is not really an option, as you would need extensive sculpting skills, along with vacuum forming equipment, etc. The costs to sculpt and form your own suit would far exceed the cost of simply purchasing a kit.

If cost is an issue, you should lean towards the more affordable fabric-based costumes, such as crewmen, officers, or even tusken raiders. Here is a complete list of approvable costumes, and a link to our detachments where you can get all the info you need about purchasing and assembling your own costume.

http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:CRLbyname
http://www.501st.com/members/displayUnits.php#detachments

I agree, the cost of a Tie Pilot gear is about $600.00, the jump suit can be made from a black Dickie's, I can part with some boots size 9, they are pleather for $25.00, I can give you some front hoses free.

I know a person who fabricates the head gear, if you want his name. He also makes Vader, and imperial red guards. Give him about 3 weeks. 

He is from Arizona, contact via Facebook, accepts PayPal.