Don't miss the next Multi-club Armor/Sewing Party and Meeting ×

Hello from San Marcos

Guest David A

Guest David A

Good afternoon all, I wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself as I've taken the steps and submitted my costume pics for approval.  I'm on standby as of 24 January to see if I get approved or if any adjustments need to be made.

I submitted the AOTC Jango Fett with his Arena pack.  Spent over a year doing some research and following the threads over at The Dented Helmet to see what, and who everyone else was using to build their costumes that were 501st approved and reviewing instructions on the official 501st page.  The sewing part was a love/hate relationship... Anyone try sewing leather with a regular sewing machine?  Yes, countless broke needles is all I'm going to say. =)  But it's been an incredible journey.

I've been in love with Star Wars for as long as I can remember, I was born in '77 so I've been around.  It was only until Brandon Jackson (Chief Geek) and I were at a military event a few years ago on Camp Pendleton, and I happen to meet him for the first time.  He saw that I was wearing a Star Wars shirt and he and I started chatting and we got into talks about our Star Wars collections.  He then proceeded to show me his pics trooping and all the events he's been involved with.  I was at awe!  That's when he put the bug in my ear... "you need to join Us"... And that was it, the journey began.  He and I have been close since!  

I've served in the military for 20 years and I'm getting ready to retire here in the next couple months with my ceremony on March 2nd.  I'm currently assigned to Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton and was the manager at Internal Medicine, Family Practice and last stint with the Pediatrics Clinic, so I'm definitely familiar and very comfortable being surrounded by little kids and babies.  I also believe because of that, I've got the best immune system lol.  I've got 3 kids myself, my oldest girl is 12, and two sons, 10 and 4.

I'm hoping to use my free time after retirement, to help out in the community while enjoying my love for Star Wars.  I'm not new to volunteering as it's something I've done quite often in my military career, I've got the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal to prove it, something that isn't just handed to anyone.  I think my most memorable time was a 5 month deployment off the west coast of Africa providing Humanitarian Assistance.  I even had the pleasure of shaking the first female President of an African Nation in Liberia.  I also have spent some time in Europe and the Middle East.  Other than providing my creative talents and time throughout the community, my other hope is to assist with Autism Awareness since my youngest Son Ethan is on the Spectrum.  He's incredibly smart and I question if I'm the one that needs the extra therapy, lol.  

My enlistment in the Navy and my service to this country is coming to an end... and I hope my enlistment in the Legion is some day approved and I can enjoy my love for Star Wars with other geeks, nerds, and like-minded individuals!  

Thanks for your time,

David "Ryan" Ancheta, San Marcos, CA  

Nice intro, Ryan. Brandon's a great guy and a highly supportive member of the Legion, glad to hear your love of Star Wars and volunteering brought you here. Good luck on your application process and we look forward to having you join us!

Guest Ryan BH-32514

Well it's official!  Got the email from Dean this morning (thanks for all your assistance Dean!).  Then a couple hours later an email from the Official 501st.  Saw my name on the list of new recruits on the 501st page also.  For those that might find it confusing.  My middle name is Ryan.  Growing up in the Philippines, my entire family called me Ryan, not sure why they didn't just call me David.  Either way, that's what I grew up with.  Since you are my newest Family members, you can call me Ryan also.  

I've already registered my forum access with Official 501st and waiting for confirmation email for official access to this forum... not sure if it needs to be reviewed first because I haven't seen any emails yet.

Looking forward to trooping with all of you in the very near future!