Don't miss the next Multi-club Armor/Sewing Party and Meeting ×

Tusken Raider

DaygoErm

Looks like a good start for another new Tusken for the garrison!  You've got a little more work to do to get it up to standards, but most items are just cosmetic.

Can you post a pic of the fabric of the outer robe?  In these pics, it looks like burlap, which might not be approvable.  It appears a little stiff...  But might break in well after a bit of wear.

Here is a list of things that need some work:

• Inner and outer robes, waist bandolier, and gloves need more weathering.
  • The tubing on the respirator is too long, letting it hang too low.  The respirator itself is on the small side, but may be okay once the tubing is shortened.
  • Can't see exactly what is going on with the sleeves, but they at least need more weathering.  They should match the helmet and boot wraps, which also should match each other.
  • Not sure what is going on with the neck wraps?  The appear to be at least partially attached to the helmet and partially to the robes?  Needs more weathering.

Don't get frustrated if that list looks long!  Most of those items are easy fixes!  And the helmet and chest bandos are spot on!  Especially the Ottoman/Turkish one!  Been chasing one of those for years myself...

Now you just need to make a Jawa for Mrs. DaygoErm!

• Like 1

Looks pretty good Ermer!

Much better photos this time around.  The weathering is much easier to see now.  Overall, looks approvable with a couple minor tweaks.

• The screen in the mouth (and possibly eyes) should be black.
  • Either respirator can looks good.  The tubing can be moved to whichever you choose.  The thinner wire is not approvable.  Too thin and squiggly...
  • A little more weathering on the waist pouches would greatly improve their appearance.
  • Are the eyelets on the Ottoman bandolier silver or white?  White is not acceptable.
  • Leather gloves are fine, but you might find cotton gardening gloves more comfortable.  Something like these:  https://smile.amazon.com/Magid-Safety-MultiMaster-Glove-Pattern/dp/B076WV3RWQ

• Like 1

Looks pretty good Ermer!
Much better photos this time around.  The weathering is much easier to see now.  Overall, looks approvable with a couple minor tweaks.
  • Either respirator can looks good.  The tubing can be moved to whichever you choose.  The thinner wire is not approvable.  Too thin and squiggly...
  • A little more weathering on the waist pouches would greatly improve their appearance.
  • Are the eyelets on the Ottoman bandolier silver or white?  White is not acceptable.
  • Leather gloves are fine, but you might find cotton gardening gloves more comfortable.  Something like these:  https://smile.amazon.com/Magid-Safety-MultiMaster-Glove-Pattern/dp/B076WV3RWQ

Thanks! I’ll get to working on the tweaks. Hopefully I can make it to the dunes with it too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, DaygoErm said:

Thanks! I’ll get to working on the tweaks. Hopefully I can make it to the dunes with it too

Looking good Ermer! If you want your costume approved in time for Saturday, I'll need to get your final submission photos tomorrow.

Here's the submission process, as a reminder:

The gaffi looks good!  Not required for the 501st, but is required for the Rebel Legion.  I would strongly urge you to submit to both when you feel you are ready.  Doubles your chances of getting in to a specific event if there are limited numbers...

The gaffi looks good!  Not required for the 501st, but is required for the Rebel Legion.  I would strongly urge you to submit to both when you feel you are ready.  Doubles your chances of getting in to a specific event if there are limited numbers...

Can you show me how? I’ve only know the dark side. Thanks

• 4 years later...
On 1/25/2018 at 10:59 PM, PunkRocketScience said:

Looks pretty good Ermer!

Hi Todd, and greetings from Ireland.

I have come across this discussion in what seems to be my never ending search for where I can buy an Ottoman bandolier!  I am currently starting a Tusken build, and for the life of me I cannot source an ottoman!  By any chance do you have any links or can guide me in the right direction?  Any help would be grately appreciated!

Thanks you! Keith

19 hours ago, Boomer said:

I have come across this discussion in what seems to be my never ending search for where I can buy an Ottoman bandolier!  I am currently starting a Tusken build, and for the life of me I cannot source an ottoman!  By any chance do you have any links or can guide me in the right direction?  Any help would be grately appreciated!

Hey Keith-

Original Ottoman bandoliers are as rare as chicken's teeth!  I've only ever seen one up to sale and it went for well over $400!

I use a repro one that was made by Berzerker on the Krayt Clan forums.  It was very reasonably priced and decent quality for what I paid.  Here is his profile:

https://www.kraytclan.net/forum/profile/998-berzerker/

• Like 1

Hi Todd.  Thank you so much for your reply, very much appreciated!!

Do you offer advice on other parts of the build?  I am wondering if there is a particular colour name for the dark and light leather for the snout?  By looking at photos, the lighter leather around the edges does loo a lot thicker than the folded darker leather.

If you had any names or recommendations for the leather, that would be great!

I am also looking for recommendations for the metal tubing for the respirator?

Thanks again!  Really appreciate your advice! Keith

Edited by Boomer

19 hours ago, Boomer said:

Hi Todd.  Thank you so much for your reply, very much appreciated!!

Do you offer advice on other parts of the build?  I am wondering if there is a particular colour name for the dark and light leather for the snout?  By looking at photos, the lighter leather around the edges does loo a lot thicker than the folded darker leather.

If you had any names or recommendations for the leather, that would be great!

I am also looking for recommendations for the metal tubing for the respirator?

Thanks again!  Really appreciate your advice! Keith

Happy to offer other advice...  I'm one of the Detachment Costume Advisors for the Krayt Clan!

There are not any specific color names for the dark and light brown leathers.  You are correct about the snout wraps being much thicker than the leather folded inside.  Usually the inside is very thin so that it is easy to fold inside...  In the past I have used lambskin or other light weight, fine grained leathers for it.

For the tubing for the respirator, I normally use the 1/4" copper tubing that is used to connect water lines to refrigerators?

2 hours ago, Boomer said:

That is great Todd... thanks for that!  Rather than hijack this post, I may start a new post with requests for advice.  I hope that you will be able to offer advice there.  Thanks a mill!!

Happy to help.  Bumped you up to 501st level access...

• 3 weeks later...