Gaanon

Brian's Tusken

The day is finally here.  Just starting my Tusken.  Well...sort of.  I already started the rebreather (I'll post those photos later).  Got the mask in the mail today.

KSrxXKI.jpg

The obligatory LBB photo.

MXSeDmX.jpg?1

And the layout of the bits and pieces.  

I'm in no rush to get this one done.  I think my next step is a trip to a sports resale store or goodwill for a batters helmet for the rest of the build.  Not so sure this is the weekend to do that though...  Otherwise, it's on to cleaning the resin bits.

Awesome! I cant wait to see the progress!

Makes me happy that our clan is getting bigger and bigger =D 

Finally got to take a pic of my rebreather.  Thanks to Todd for pointing me to the files.  

wqdGSre.jpg

Kind of a mix of two files I found.  The cylinder is from one user.  The end caps another that I had to resize for the cylinder.  But I like that it has the ridges on the end caps like it's from a bottle or something.

On 11/23/2017 at 11:16 AM, Gaanon said:

Finally got to take a pic of my rebreather.  Thanks to Todd for pointing me to the files.  

wqdGSre.jpg

Kind of a mix of two files I found.  The cylinder is from one user.  The end caps another that I had to resize for the cylinder.  But I like that it has the ridges on the end caps like it's from a bottle or something.

For those that want to print their own, the 3D file for the caps is here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2271761

These were a collaboration between myself and @Mattchu.

This was the cylinder I used.  

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1340597

It's a three part file, but I just used the cylinder.  

I got the 1/4" aluminum rod and flare nuts from Hoth Depot.  

On Todd's end cap, for some reason Cura wanted to resize the heck out of it.  No idea why.  I ended up measuring the cylinder diameter and using that to resize the end cap.  Your mileage may vary.

Now on to dealing with other 3D printer issues.

Yay! Another Tusken! How tight fitting was the cylinder to the end caps? I ask, because we could make a print file for the cylinder as well for the future. :)

As for cura wanting to resize, I think the end cap was modeled in inches for our personal sanity at the time, and every print program under the sun sees metric.

Let's put it this way, I didn't use glue and it's not coming apart without breaking something.

16 minutes ago, Mattchu said:

Yay! Another Tusken! How tight fitting was the cylinder to the end caps? I ask, because we could make a print file for the cylinder as well for the future. :)

Really no need to reinvent the wheel...  The cap was originally designed to fit into 1-1/2" sch. 40 ABS pipe, approximately a 3" length.

31 minutes ago, PunkRocketScience said:

Really no need to reinvent the wheel...  The cap was originally designed to fit into 1-1/2" sch. 40 ABS pipe, approximately a 3" length.

It's not "reinventing" it's improving!  Why you gotta spoil the fun, Dad?

The file was made to fit both a tube, and the nuts more or less snuggly, is the concern. I agree the abs pipe is better, but, I can make a cylinder to fit everything perfectly. :)

Assuming I got the right nuts, they're slightly too big for the endcaps.  I'll have to sand the hole open a bit more.  

I've got a second set for @Balue I'll bring to the next build party...wherever and whenever that may be.  

5 minutes ago, Gaanon said:

Assuming I got the right nuts, they're slightly too big for the endcaps.  I'll have to sand the hole open a bit more.  

I've got a second set for @Balue I'll bring to the next build party...wherever and whenever that may be.  

Hmmm...  They fit perfectly on mine...  Guess I should qualify that with "your mileage may vary"?  ;)