Don't miss the next Multi-club Armor/Sewing Party and Meeting ×

Brian's Tusken

Gaanon

The day is finally here.  Just starting my Tusken.  Well...sort of.  I already started the rebreather (I'll post those photos later).  Got the mask in the mail today.

KSrxXKI.jpg

The obligatory LBB photo.

MXSeDmX.jpg?1

And the layout of the bits and pieces.  

I'm in no rush to get this one done.  I think my next step is a trip to a sports resale store or goodwill for a batters helmet for the rest of the build.  Not so sure this is the weekend to do that though...  Otherwise, it's on to cleaning the resin bits.

Finally got to take a pic of my rebreather.  Thanks to Todd for pointing me to the files.  

wqdGSre.jpg

Kind of a mix of two files I found.  The cylinder is from one user.  The end caps another that I had to resize for the cylinder.  But I like that it has the ridges on the end caps like it's from a bottle or something.

On 11/23/2017 at 11:16 AM, Gaanon said:

Finally got to take a pic of my rebreather.  Thanks to Todd for pointing me to the files.  

wqdGSre.jpg

Kind of a mix of two files I found.  The cylinder is from one user.  The end caps another that I had to resize for the cylinder.  But I like that it has the ridges on the end caps like it's from a bottle or something.

For those that want to print their own, the 3D file for the caps is here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2271761

These were a collaboration between myself and @Mattchu.

This was the cylinder I used.  

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1340597

It's a three part file, but I just used the cylinder.  

I got the 1/4" aluminum rod and flare nuts from Hoth Depot.  

On Todd's end cap, for some reason Cura wanted to resize the heck out of it.  No idea why.  I ended up measuring the cylinder diameter and using that to resize the end cap.  Your mileage may vary.

Now on to dealing with other 3D printer issues.

Yay! Another Tusken! How tight fitting was the cylinder to the end caps? I ask, because we could make a print file for the cylinder as well for the future. :)

As for cura wanting to resize, I think the end cap was modeled in inches for our personal sanity at the time, and every print program under the sun sees metric.

16 minutes ago, Mattchu said:

Yay! Another Tusken! How tight fitting was the cylinder to the end caps? I ask, because we could make a print file for the cylinder as well for the future. :)

Really no need to reinvent the wheel...  The cap was originally designed to fit into 1-1/2" sch. 40 ABS pipe, approximately a 3" length.

31 minutes ago, PunkRocketScience said:

Really no need to reinvent the wheel...  The cap was originally designed to fit into 1-1/2" sch. 40 ABS pipe, approximately a 3" length.

It's not "reinventing" it's improving!  Why you gotta spoil the fun, Dad?

5 minutes ago, Gaanon said:

Assuming I got the right nuts, they're slightly too big for the endcaps.  I'll have to sand the hole open a bit more.  

I've got a second set for @Balue I'll bring to the next build party...wherever and whenever that may be.  

Hmmm...  They fit perfectly on mine...  Guess I should qualify that with "your mileage may vary"?  ;)

• 10 months later...

Getting ready to get back into this and wondering...what should I use for the helmet back?  I've seen some with a hard hat, and I can get them easily enough.  But the speed build from Leslie had a baseball helmet I think.  There was some sort of sport helmet in there.  What was it, and where can I find one?  I went to a second hand sports store today and they had something crazy for $25.  At that price, I might as well get new.

I've got photos of the inside (Todd has the helmet, I left it with him at the AP).  I'm just not seeing one like it anywhere online for sale.  Might check Wally world.  It looks like something you would have had in high school or something.  I like the sturdiness of it though.

Maybe I'm overthinking it because I can't see the outside and the padding is removed.

Edited by Gaanon