Don't miss the next Multi-club Armor/Sewing Party and Meeting ×

SD Vader WIP

Rod Vader

Update for my WIP. Gloves arrived today and MY GOD ARE THEY PERFECT! They feel amazing and they fit "like a glove" (you see what I did there). Since my last update I received my boots as well as went ahead and ordered my cape robe and body suit thru CP and he gave me a 20-25 day turnaround. Once those are here I'll only be waiting on my goods from a single vendor before I'm ready for submission. Unfortunately it looks like my wait will still be significant as I'm still a ways away on the order list. Might be seeking alternatives until they arrive but I suppose there's no real rush.

• 1 month later...

Darth Jal custom saber arrived today and I can't stop singing it's praises. The attention to detail has turned this disaster of a hilt into a bonafide Jedi slayer. Absolutely fantastic work! The communication and customer service was only surpassed by the quality of product I was provided. Absolutely stellar all around!

My suit is getting closer and closer to completion and submission. My CP body suit, cape and robe set shipped out today and I'm expecting the belt box set to arrive within the next couple of weeks as well. Once those arrive I will have a complete suit! Unfortunately I'm aware my current EFX helmet doesn't match my ESB build for submission so I'm still a ways off before I get my SL ID but at least I'll be able to pass as authentic until my name gets called on the DR list. 

In the mean time I will work on perfecting and upgrading the parts of the suit that I can. I've been following the transducer threads carefully and I think that will be the route I'll want to go. I'm currently using a behringer/ipod/aker setup and I get very good sound however I can already tell this setup will be too cumbersome and noticeable to troop with. While the belt boxes I'm getting will lighten this load, I will have to eventually upgrade my voice changer. Romfx revo's are in short supply but I'm holding out as I do not see even the vortex 3 being as good of quality or user accessibility straight out of the box. 

I will probably need to upgrade my boots as well. I'm currently using the Soviet boots but I"m already noticing that I"m not satisfied with my height. I'm 6'3" without boots and these are rather flat footed. With helmet I'm breaking about 6'6"/6'7" but I don't feel as though I'm towering over others the way the Dark Lord would. (Probably doesn't help that I hang out with other basketball players but still). As I wear a 14 I'll be looking for boots in a size 15 to perhaps support 1-2 in lifts. This seems difficult as well as Chippewas are constantly sold out and most of the other options I've seen get disqualified for one reason or another. But at least it's something to do while I wait.

Suggestions and critiques are always welcome and if you've made it this far thanks for reading my WIP. Hopefully more to come soon!

• 2 weeks later...

First complete suit up is in the books! I have so many people to thank and even tho the journey isn’t complete I can’t even begin explain the joy I felt being the dark lord. More updates to come but for now I’ll enjoy the feeling. Critiques welcome!
38db4fae21dab65fb3f2369686b67752.jpg396d559c2681296b372a16eb3d1951bc.jpg15f11cb86c001f585614fe57119e3544.jpgbde6ef64725c6d8111d9f728d78deda2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Been a pretty terrible month so far. After having my mother and my uncle both pass away within weeks of each other I’ve never been more grateful to be involved with such an active community. Big thanks to the guys who have reached out to me and kept my hands from going idle (especially the ones who answer all my annoying questions). This is truly a fantastic group to (almost) be a part of.

Quick update: edging closer to submission now. Was able to procure a good stand in helmet until my DR helmet arrives and just need to to fine tune the details on the armor (bells) and I should be ready to submit. Rounding that final bend!

• 2 weeks later...

Almost time to wrap up this WIP. Got my fans installed (kind of sloppy but functional) and my transducers wired. All the pieces are together and minor tweaks and adjustments aside (still waiting for my project box for amp circuit card) I should be ready to submit! Everyone has been so helpful and following the guidance from some fantastic sources I got here exceptionally quickly. Always open to advice so hammer away and thanks to all who’ve helped me get this far!
adcdb4d714c3e968d5850eb029aec908.jpg
9d38add6ced56a57acea9b1a06570dab.jpg
a25785c57e11e91db31263f03c255369.jpg
2eba4e41cd61f011e363eb8e91b9fb54.jpg
3640d825cc2041885caa0555c2f808cf.jpg

Looks good from what I can see. Just make sure that when you submit your pics to Dean for approval that you take them outside during the day with as high of a resolution as possible. Black on black on black makes it difficult for Dean to see the required details - I know because my initial submission photos looked similar to your most recent and I had to reshoot all of them.

On that note, check to see how the hosting site handles uploaded photos - the site I used compressed everything, so even my reshoots had to be sent again because the resolution was changed.

• Like 2

Thanks fellas. Still tinkering to perfect the set up but I finished off the helmet fans and chest transducers. Velcro on everything that needs it. I’m planning on going to the armor party Saturday and maybe I’ll be able to take my submission pics then.

• 1 year later...
On 11/1/2017 at 10:25 AM, Rod Vader said:

Thanks fellas. Still tinkering to perfect the set up but I finished off the helmet fans and chest transducers. Velcro on everything that needs it. I’m planning on going to the armor party Saturday and maybe I’ll be able to take my submission pics then.

Rod, did you use Velcro to secure your cape to your armor? It's something I want to do with the ROTS setup but don't know the best way to set up the Velcro on the cape and on the shoulder armor.

Dave

• Like 1

Rod, did you use Velcro to secure your cape to your armor? It's something I want to do with the ROTS setup but don't know the best way to set up the Velcro on the cape and on the shoulder armor.
Dave

No I actually didn’t need to. The weight of the cape and setting the width with a few links of cape chain usually keeps it in the right place for me. If you have a lighter weight cape then normally 1-2 strips right on the lower outside corners and sewing it on the corresponding edges of the cape should be alright.
1c0fabb92ebeebb665bc74cee528b711.jpgf7b4d03f1e1d904a4f1316853dc54c2f.jpg

1 hour ago, Rod Vader said:

No I actually didn’t need to. The weight of the cape and setting the width with a few links of cape chain usually keeps it in the right place for me. If you have a lighter weight cape then normally 1-2 strips right on the lower outside corners and sewing it on the corresponding edges of the cape should be alright.
1c0fabb92ebeebb665bc74cee528b711.jpg

WOW. You look AMAZING.  With the ROTS Vader the cape is half circle. I'm concerned it will get blown back and look bad. I want to keep it in place, and I've seen armor with Velcro but not how the corresponding Velcro is attached to the cape.  I assume it would only go on the lining so as not to create random seam lines on the cape, but really I have no idea how to get this done in the best way.  I asked on the SLD forum but didn't get a response, probably because my comment was embedded in an old thread. I'll ask in a new topic.  Thanks for your quick reply!  Dave

• Like 1

WOW. You look AMAZING.  With the ROTS Vader the cape is half circle. I'm concerned it will get blown back and look bad. I want to keep it in place, and I've seen armor with Velcro but not how the corresponding Velcro is attached to the cape.  I assume it would only go on the lining so as not to create random seam lines on the cape, but really I have no idea how to get this done in the best way.  I asked on the SLD forum but didn't get a response, probably because my comment was embedded in an old thread. I'll ask in a new topic.  Thanks for your quick reply!  Dave

No worries and many thanks for the compliment. Your best bet would be to ask a local seamstress or even one of the more handy individuals at a local armor party. Sew a smaller square on the inside of the cape lining and no one will see it. Is it a heavy cape or a light weight one?

On 8/30/2019 at 12:37 PM, DymnDog said:

And the Sith Lord Detachment has VOLUMES of information regarding every cape (and every other part). 

Have you set up your account at https://www.501stsithlords.com/ yet, David?

Yes, thank you both. I started a thread about it in the SLD forum a few minutes ago because after searching I couldn't find details about capes and Velcro. 

My wife is a seamstress and can help with figuring this out. I'm trying to research first.

Thanks! 

Edited by Gomcse
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2019 at 12:22 PM, Rod Vader said:

No worries and many thanks for the compliment. Your best bet would be to ask a local seamstress or even one of the more handy individuals at a local armor party. Sew a smaller square on the inside of the cape lining and no one will see it. Is it a heavy cape or a light weight one?

Rod, sorry, I missed your question about the weight of the cape. It's a Rubies cape, and the lining is a beautiful satin. It's all quite heavy when put together.

I'm waiting for some changes from the seamstress and will be adding pics to my SLD WIP located HERE.  I'm just buzzing with desire to get the pieces in from Portumac (helmet, belt, belt boxes, chest box) and modify my Rubies shin armor and chest armor.