Don't miss the next Multi-club Armor/Sewing Party and Meeting ×

SD Vader WIP

Rod Vader

I figure this would be as good a place as any to catalog my progress from nobody to (hopefully) trooping dark lord. I'll post progress photos of each piece and a synopsis of where I am in the process. I'm always open to suggestions and ways that I can improve to make myself more marketable. I'll earn level 3 one day but for now basic approval is the goal. I'll edit as often as I get gear and make changes. Looking forward to your input!

Helmet: Darth Rosso - Deposit paid/on order

Shoulders: Darth Rosso- Deposit paid/on order

Chest box: Korbanth- received

Belt/Boxes: Darth Rosso- received

Body Suit: Custom Props-  received

Robe/Cape set: Custom Props- received

Gloves: noisetrigger- received

Shins: Korbanth- received

Boots: Soviet Boots- received

Cod: Darth Rosso- Paid/on order

Lightsaber: MR ESB DJ Custom Conversion- received

Next update once I receive the parts!

Thanks for everyone's help!

Edited by Rod Vader

Helmet:

For this piece I am currently on the wait list for Darth Rosso in the SLD. I was quoted $950.00 + shipping for this and the armor combined. I've paid $450 so far. Pics to come as soon as I receive it.

Total paid: $450.00

Chest Piece:

For this piece I am currently on the wait list for Darth Rosso in the SLD. I was quoted $950.00 + shipping for this and the helmet combined. I've paid $450 so far. Pics to come as soon as I receive it.

Total paid:$0.00

Chest box:

For this piece I ordered from a vendor named Korbanth. Very prompt delivery (3 days from order to arrival). Had to block out the lights to match the ESB look but it was an easy fix.

Total paid: $250.00 shipping $20.00

a122a33d753d912137966178b98163c4.jpg
41d80fff37c2fd3f4b7070cb15318ea4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Belt/Boxes:

Belt boxes arrived from DR and look amazing. Need to attach the saber clip but aside from that I’m loving the feel. Highly recommended.

Total paid: $425

b34ec7ad48f3677b5912bdeda0851ace.jpg58ea65c1e2554b7b6dab0649e19cc291.jpg

Edited by Rod Vader

Shin guards:

This piece was also ordered from Korbanth. Once again, very prompt delivery (2 days from order to arrival). Shin guards are durable high grade plastic and feel sturdy.

Total paid: $150.00 shipping $19.00

65b9a5013acc7f40a1ae207852db805b.jpg

Boots:

Was able to procure a set of Chippewas in 14EE! Couldn’t pass up the opportunity to upgrade. Thanks Jim you’re a life saver!

Total paid: $200 plus shipping

1d2d4f6e4bff8796cbbad38aeb0cf1bc.jpg72f5a7e3650ec3f731b67493f26a34fb.jpg02b4a751ffe3a72c1d03b355e4626336.jpg

Edited by Rod Vader

Lightsaber:

So after some craziness I've finally gotten my hands on a Darth Jal custom saber. I'm blown away by the resurrection of this saber and the quality of craftmanship is incredible. This purchase was worth every penny! I'll also post a link to the story of the situation when I have to time for all those interested.

Total paid: 

Hilt: $320.00 (refunded $50.00/$200.00)

Darth Jal conversion: $300.00

b135f273b7d6c67dd38f83da4527d78d.jpg

9ae2ff0bc772cad58d6044a7e0f2d6ff.jpg

f50a7ed024110e61fdc23c665d4b9f83.jpg

1b122e0089fb1231b2e3fb50ca30bbac.jpg

Edited by Rod Vader

Rod, I think that's a decent list.

The chest box looks like a Portumac box resold by Korbanth.

I would seek clarification on whether the saber is required. My reading of the CRL suggests it would be as there are no laws here preventing you from owning it.

Rod, I think that's a decent list.
The chest box looks like a Portumac box resold by Korbanth.
I would seek clarification on whether the saber is required. My reading of the CRL suggests it would be as there are no laws here preventing you from owning it.

That's what I think too. But talking around SLD if I want level 2 or 3 certs the hilt needs to match the ESB versions. Not a big deal as I can convert for under 200.

That makes for a pricey saber. You can get a 2005 MR belt hanger for much less than that if you keep an eye out on eBay.

I've been looking for something that's going to beat the price to convert and if I find it I'll jump on it. For the time being it's fairly low on my priority list.

Quick side note what set up do others use for the voice changer? I've had a miserable time with robovox so I think I'm going to go the multistomp route if I can't find any other alternatives.

Also competitive deals on cape sets and body suits. Right now I'll probably be sitting at $1000 which is steep imo but apparently that's the price of quality. Any other recommendations?

I saw a couple of MR 2005s on eBay last night for 200 or less as buy it now. Also saw an auction that was at 90 with 11 hours left as of last night.

The RomFX Revo is an option many use, but they are pricey. The multi-stomp can work too, but I don't have experience with it.

I have a CP cape, robe and custom 2 piece body suit. The pricing you're receiving seems about right. At least one of our Vader's had a custom cape made and I think it was local (DymnDog). I am not sure what price difference you would see going that route.

Vader just isn't a cheap costume, especially to make it look great.

Agree that a decent Vader cannot be easily made on a budget. It's often an "ultimate" costume goal after you already have other costumes (This is how I approached it). Not only do you need to have experience to know how to troop in general, but being Vader brings added responsibility to act appropriately. 

I've told Erik this, and I'll say it here... having a "face character" like Vader as your only costume is not the way most people do this. We encourage you to have another costume (ie. Stormtrooper or Tusken, or just a Reserve Pilot or anything that more than one can be at a troop). This way if someone else is taking a turn to be Vader, you can still troop!

Having multiple Vaders is a new issue for ISG. I hope we can all share the opportunities that come up and handle multiple interests in trooping as Vader at an event in a fair and gentlemanly fashion. 

15 minutes ago, Kuhlio said:

I saw a couple of MR 2005s on eBay last night for 200 or less as buy it now. Also saw an auction that was at 90 with 11 hours left as of last night.

The RomFX Revo is an option many use, but they are pricey. The multi-stomp can work too, but I don't have experience with it.

I have a CP cape, robe and custom 2 piece body suit. The pricing you're receiving seems about right. At least one of our Vader's had a custom cape made and I think it was local (DymnDog). I am not sure what price difference you would see going that route.

I own both the ROM/FX voice changer and the Multi-stomp guitar effect pedal. I've chosen to troop with the ROM/FX for now. Th Multi-stomp is not a bad option, but there are many more connections that can come loose during a troop, and it is much more bulky. I've started a lengthy discussion on the SLD regarding the speakers that you use. I think they probably affect the sound more than the processor. 

I bought my body suit from FenixProps (3-piece). I'm not altogether sure that a 3-piece provides much advantage over a 2-piece...but it's more authentic. 

I'm still on the waiting list for KevVader's capeset, but I also commissioned Lesley to make me the capeset that I troop in currently. From what I can tell, Lesley's capeset is very similar to the quality of KeVader's. I believe strongly that part of what makes Vader...Vader, is the cape. A cheap, lightweight cape just looks wrong. That's why I would not skimp on your cape. After I get my KevVader capeset I'll decide to sell one off, or perhaps keep it as a spare. 

I've noticed that price point is the biggest deterrent for most people. It doesn't bother me I just want to not impulse buy or not get the most bang for my buck. Out of curiosity how many Vaders does isg have already?

I own both the ROM/FX voice changer and the Multi-stomp guitar effect pedal. I've chosen to troop with the ROM/FX for now. Th Multi-stomp is not a bad option, but there are many more connections that can come loose during a troop, and it is much more bulky. I've started a lengthy discussion on the SLD regarding the speakers that you use. I think they probably affect the sound more than the processor. 
I bought my body suit from FenixProps (3-piece). I'm not altogether sure that a 3-piece provides much advantage over a 2-piece...but it's more authentic. 
I'm still on the waiting list for KevVader's capeset, but I also commissioned Lesley to make me the capeset that I troop in currently. From what I can tell, Lesley's capeset is very similar to the quality of KeVader's. I believe strongly that part of what makes Vader...Vader, is the cape. A cheap, lightweight cape just looks wrong. That's why I would not skimp on your cape. After I get my KevVader capeset I'll decide to sell one off, or perhaps keep it as a spare. 

I've heard a lot of differences in opinion between the FP and CP body suits. Most people recommend CP but having personal experience do you have any problems with FP? I'll be placing my order at the end of this month and it's anticipated arrival is the end of August.

Also I think I got the multistomp idea from your thread lol. What's your SLD name?

13 minutes ago, Rod Vader said:

I've noticed that price point is the biggest deterrent for most people. It doesn't bother me I just want to not impulse buy or not get the most bang for my buck. Out of curiosity how many Vaders does isg have already?

At the moment we have 5 approved Vaders (Brandon, Milton, Myself, Todd and Erik). Shane and you are closing in on submission. Brandon is the most senior, but hasn't been active for a while, but we're trying to get him back into the helmet. Milton was next approved around the time of The Force Awakens, followed in quick succession by myself, Todd, and Erik all earlier this year. 

26 minutes ago, DymnDog said:

At the moment we have 5 approved Vaders (Brandon, Milton, Myself, Todd and Erik). Shane and you are closing in on submission. Brandon is the most senior, but hasn't been active for a while, but we're trying to get him back into the helmet. Milton was next approved around the time of The Force Awakens, followed in quick succession by myself, Todd, and Erik all earlier this year. 

I forgot to add that Andy is on his way as well.